Saturday, January 15, 2011

This Chicken is Kickin' - Finger Lickin' Optional

So, it's Saturday and I'm all about doing nothing on a schedule.  It is my only day to not hear an alarm clock, and since I didn't have to chaurffer kids to any practice or any other kid related activity, I refuse to work by a clock.  Also, there was football on so I couldn't spend all day in the kitchen.

What better dish to make on a Saturday, than a sandwich.  I did not make my kids' favorite sandwich- peanut butter & jelly (actually I did make it, but I didn't think that you needed the recipe for PB&J).  Let me know if you do, and I will post the recipe.

I was in the mood for chicken salad sandwiches.  Chicken salad and tuna salad have never been two favorites, but I was introduced to a different type of chicken salad sandwich a few years ago.  This chicken salad has apples and grapes and cheese - and of course, chicken.  Now I like chicken salad.  The hubby also is not a fan of chicken salad was a bit skeptical when I told him that I made chicken salad - he had seconds. Can I get a Woot Woot?!   All the kids ate it without any complaints, and some even asked for seconds. 

I made some of the sandwiches on those cute little cocktail bread pieces - pumpernickel flavor, and I put some on regualr size whole wheat

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

2 packs oven roasted chicken breast pieces (found in deli meat section)
1 apple cored and diced
15 seedless grapes cut into fourths
1 tsp finely chopped green onion
1/4 cup shredded cheese
3 tablespoons reduced fat mayo (with olive oil)
dash of lemon juice
dash of black pepper

Mix all the ingredients together and put on your choice of bread. 

This would also be great on croissant, pita pockets.  It would even make a great breadless sandwich.

Enjoy!  Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment