Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mumbo Gumbo

Some of my favorite recipes are those with a small number of ingredients.  I also love those that don't require me to dirty a lot of dishes, pots and pans.  I did the menu planning and grocery shopping for the next seven days of this 2011 experience, and my focus was on fast and easy and few ingredients.  All of my recipes come from the cookbook Favorite Brand Name 4 Ingredient Cookbook...Fast & Easy Recipes.  Some recipes may be modified from what the book may suggest.

Tonight I made Chicken Gumbo - 4 ingredient chicken gumbo! No, it wasn't authentic New Orleans style gumbo, but it was still good.  The best part about this recipe was that I only used one pot, and it only took about 30 minutes from start to finish.

Chicken Gumbo

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch piece
1 package chicken smoked sausage cut into 3/4 inch slices
1 12 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables with broccoli, corn and red peppers
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups water

Heat oil in large saucepan. Add chicken and sausage and cook until browned, about 8 minutes.

Add vegetables, tomatoes and water; bring to boil.  Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment